Thursday, March 20, 2014

Paleo Week Two

This week we went to Chicago to visit college friends and I did not eat 100% Paleo, but I got right back on track when I got home.  I did make healthy options while in Chicago and we walked a lot.  Surprisingly I still lost weight!  I'm feeling great this week and can tell my clothes are fitting looser! :)

New Paleo recipes I tried this week--experimented with cauliflower :)

Cauliflower Hummus
From Everday Paleo Family Cookbook by Sarah Fragoso


4 cups steamed cauliflower ( I used one head of cauliflower)
2 Tbsp almond butter
1/4 cup olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp sea salt

1. Cut a head of cauliflower  into florets and steam in a large pot for approximately 6 minutes or until fork-tender

2. Remove florets immediately and let them cool

3. Once the cauliflower is cool, place the steamed florets into a food processor along with the remaining ingredients and process until completely smooth.  Serve with raw veggies, olives, and even slices of cooked chicken breast for dipping.  Makes approximately 3 or 4 cups hummus.

Total of 20 WW points.  Mine made 3 cups- approximately 1 WW point per 2 Tbsp of hummus. Next time I will split recipe in half and make two batches because it was too much for my food processor to handle.  I will also experiment with different seasonings.  I just love hummus and have really missed it! While this doesn't taste exactly like hummus, it is a nice dip for carrots, peppers, and celery. 


Riced Cauliflower
From Everday Paleo Family Cookbook by Sarah Fragoso


1 head of cauliflower
3 Tbsp coconut oil
3 green onions, diced- I didn't have so I left these out
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 egg, whisked
1 tsp coconut aminos or Bragg Liquid Aminos
1 Tbsp sesame oil
Black pepper

1. Rinse and dry the cauliflower and cut into florets

2. Place the florets into a food processor and process until they are finely minced, looking like rice!

3. In a large skillet, melt the coconut oil over medium heat

4. Add the cauliflower and saute for 5-6 minutes

5. Add the green onions and garlic and saute with the cauliflower for another 2-3 minutes.

6. Push the cauliflower mixture to the side of the pan and pour the whisked egg onto the empty side of the pan and cook until the egg begins to firm.

7. Mix the egg into the cauliflower mixture and add the coconut aminos, the sesame oil, and black pepper

8. Taste your riced cauliflower and add more aminos or sesame oil if desired.  I cooked longer until it was warm and soft all the way through.

Makes 5 servings- a total of 15 WW points.  Each serving is approximately 1 cup and 3 WW points.  It isn't rice, but tastes good- I will definitely make this again.  This meal was filling and delicious.  I have left over meat that i'm going to add to a salad with avocado for tomorrows lunch!  And while my husband is supportive of my Paleo diet, he is not a big fan of cauliflower.  I made some twice baked potatoes last night and served him one with dinner... he was very appreciative!

1 cup riced cauliflower
4 oz flank steak
Salad
Total of 9 WW points

Avocado Slicer
My new favorite kitchen gadget- a 3 in 1 avocado slicer.  We purchased this at Crate and Barrel in Chicago.  I have been eating a lot of avocados since starting the Paleo diet and this tool is amazing!  My favorite part is how easy it makes removing the core.

No comments:

Post a Comment